McElroy Discussion Forums

McElroy Fusion Discussion
It is currently December 14th, 2019, 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Off Horizontal Welding
PostPosted: June 17th, 2011, 8:33 am 

Hello,

I have searched the web and this forum for a related topic and came up empty. My question is: Does McElroy have any fusion equipment that allows welding of pipe that is laid at anything besides a horizontal position?

Does anybody have experience joining pipe ends with semi automated equipment where the pipe ends are not vertical with the pipe laid out horizontally?

I have a scenario where it is not feasible to join the pipe in a laying flat position and lift it to the desired angle.

What are my options? The class of welding would be in in the PB 14 machine's range.

Thanks,
Doug

PostPosted: June 17th, 2011, 10:48 am 
Can you give a bit more information about the angle you're looking at? Many of our machines, both manual and hydraulic, could perform fusions at a reasonable angle. The issue is more how do you set up the fusion to provide a consistent drag (hopefully positive, and consistent so that you can account for it and still get your interfacial pressure in range).

With severely angled pipe (near vertical) you might need to use one of our vertical fusion machines, which have some additional features to control the carriage closing speed, and you would also need to adjust your carriage pressure for the negative drag situation. You may also have to use modified shift procedures to keep the interfacial pressure in the correct range.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2011, 3:59 pm 

Hello Project Engineer,

Thank you for the quick response. I am talking 10-15 degrees from vertical so your vertical machine may be the solution. Please post a link to the machine specs.

Doug

PostPosted: June 27th, 2011, 10:13 am 
http://www.mcelroy.com/fusion/roadshow/productlist.htm

We showed a couple of vertical products in a recent roadshow, they appear a ways down in the link given. The specs are kind of minimal there, but there is some information and a picture of the full-size unit. If those look of interest to you, please message me or email me and I'll try to get you more information. The compact unit is about the size of a 4 jaw DynaMc® EP carriage, but is mounted on a handcart, with the heater and facer onboard and is operated from a DynaMc EP HPU.