McElroy Discussion Forums

McElroy Fusion Discussion
It is currently December 11th, 2019, 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new 28 machine shoes
PostPosted: August 16th, 2006, 4:05 pm 
Prior Board Member

we are having lots of trouble with the new 8" shoes on the new style 28 machine . they seem to close making it difficult to get our 6" inserts to line up with the 8" inserts . are we alone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16th, 2006, 4:06 pm 
Not sure how this would happen with the 6" in place. Do they close when you fuse 8" IPS and then you can't install the 6" shoes? (we call them inserts). Or do they close when you have the 6" inserts installed and fusing 6" pipe.
How many of the 8" inserts are closed? Is it just the ones in the outer jaws of the machine? If so, this could be caused by moving a long stick of pipe while it is still clamped in the machine. You have a lot of leverage with 40 feet of pipe. The inserts may be closing as opposed to the jaw bending or breaking.

Post subject: insert trouble
PostPosted: February 19th, 2007, 3:15 pm 

I agree with Jim, I believe the new machines are built to fuse 8" DIPS and the inserts are for IPS. I sometimes have the same problem with my machine, the inserts are quite thin and can be easilly bent when you are pulling 8" pipe through and sometimes the fusion bead catches them so you have to be careful. The one that catches on me is the left one on the carrage section (at the steerable end of the machine) mostly at the back.
My solution was to raise the roller on the steering handle about an inch but thats just my solution.
Hope this helps!