McElroy Discussion Forums

McElroy Fusion Discussion
It is currently November 14th, 2019, 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: question
PostPosted: February 13th, 2012, 12:59 am 

can we use standard inserts for our non-standard pipes i.e. Ø90 insert for Ø94 mm pipe ???

Post subject: Re: question
PostPosted: February 13th, 2012, 5:44 pm 
Fusion Expert

Mis-match diameters can sometimes be accommodated, but a few cautions should be noted; if the jaws are too small, the jaws (inserts) can dig into the pipe, leaving gouges that can compromise the integrity of the pipe. Another issue is that even if you can force the pipe into the jaws, the guide rods can be pushed slightly off center affecting both performance of the machine and durability. If the jaws (inserts) are too large, the pipe may not clamp properly, and slippage can occur.

I would be kidding you to say that operators always use the correct inserts for the pipe they are fusing, and if the proper precautions are taken, you can get away with using inserts whose diameters differ slightly from the pipe, but my advice is to always use the correct inserts to ensure the integrity of the pipe, fusion, and the machine. Doing it right the first time is far more time effective and less expensive than going back to fix it later.

We can design and make custom sized inserts if we do not have the size you need, just give us a call or send an email and we can work with our engineering department to create a solution for your needs.

Post subject: Re: question
PostPosted: February 13th, 2012, 11:29 pm 

Thnaks for you reply!!!!

tulsamurph wrote:
Mis-match diameters can sometimes be accommodated, but a few cautions should be noted; if the jaws are too small, the jaws (inserts) can dig into the pipe, leaving gouges that can compromise the integrity of the pipe. Another issue is that even if you can force the pipe into the jaws, the guide rods can be pushed slightly off center affecting both performance of the machine and durability. If the jaws (inserts) are too large, the pipe may not clamp properly, and slippage can occur.

I would be kidding you to say that operators always use the correct inserts for the pipe they are fusing, and if the proper precautions are taken, you can get away with using inserts whose diameters differ slightly from the pipe, but my advice is to always use the correct inserts to ensure the integrity of the pipe, fusion, and the machine. Doing it right the first time is far more time effective and less expensive than going back to fix it later.

We can design and make custom sized inserts if we do not have the size you need, just give us a call or send an email and we can work with our engineering department to create a solution for your needs.