McElroy Discussion Forums

McElroy Fusion Discussion
It is currently October 27th, 2020, 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 28th, 2006, 11:52 am 
Does anyone here know what ways pipe in these sizes are moved around jobsites and loaded into fusion machines? What kinds of material handling equipment are used?

Post subject: 48-65" pipe handling
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2006, 6:07 pm 

The last project I did with this large diameter pipe we used 2-8" wide straps chokered around the pipe and lifted it with a CAT 345b excavator, we tried using a 320b but the weight of a 63" dr26 50 ft joint was too much. Once fused we would have a D8 Bulldozer sling around the end of the pipe and just drag it on the ground once it cleared the pipe stands. Granted this won't work if its a paved or hard surface, but on this job we had wet clay soil. Also we started with the bull dozer going backwards so the operator could see our hand signals, but once we got 450ft or so it was lifting the back end of the dozer off the ground, so we busted out the 2-way radios and turned him around using the rear winch cable as a choker on the pipe. This in turn dug into the pipe and thankfully we had a little extra length so we just cut the damaged area out. One thing I have come to appreciate is that the QUALITY of the operator at the sticks can either make or break a job. With each 50 ft joint weighing in @10k lbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2007, 12:46 pm 
Dunn,

Thank you for your response. It was very helpful in its detail and description of methods.

I would appreciate hearing about any other experiences as well from you or any other equipment users.