McElroy Discussion Forums

McElroy Fusion Discussion
It is currently October 26th, 2020, 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 21st, 2012, 9:13 am 

I have a 28 machine that continues to operate with 900 lbs of pressure at the mian (fusion control) gauge. I have adjusted the pressure at the lower dials, near the pump but the top gauge continues to read the same pressure as the lower gauge. We work in a colder climate and the machine came in for service with a lot of water in the hydraulic. When I changed the oil, it looked terrible but appears to be clear aghain.
I first rebuilt one of the cylinders, thinking the pressure was building due to a bind on the ram, but this did not work. I next changed out all three reducing valves on the main manifold, in case they had all blown due to freezing of the water in the old oil. Again I have had no luck.
Please help me out! I really need to get the machine back in order but I feel stumped.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2012, 3:58 pm 
Fusion Expert

Did you find a solution to this? I believe I may have spoken to you on the phone.

Two things come to mind, one is the quick disconnects (QDs), the other is the gauge. If you disconnect the carriage, and the pump produces 900 PSI with the facer off, then 300 PSI +/- 50 with the facer on, the pump appears to be doing its job. If the upper gauge is reading 900 PSI when in the heating mode, especially with the PR valve backed all the way out (loose), and the carriage barely moves, then the gauge may be bad.

In short, if the oil has a way to get to the tank, either through the facer or through a PR valve, the pressure should be low, but if you stop (or slow the flow significantly) the flow, either by a defective QD or other obstruction, the pressure will be high.

Let us know how your progress has been please.

John