McElroy Discussion Forums

McElroy Fusion Discussion
It is currently November 19th, 2019, 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 6th, 2014, 8:23 am 

I am designing a program for a nuclear facility that requires pipeline repair equipment and materials to be onsite at all times. This means that various fusion machines (TracStars and Rolling) will be stored in shipping containers for long periods of time in case of emergency.

My question is, does McElroy have any guidelines for long term storage of their equipment? I know the obvious ones, keep machines out of the weather in a dry and relatively temperature stable environment.

What else should I plan to do?

PostPosted: May 6th, 2014, 4:41 pm 

Not that this is the end all be all as it relates to the trackstars but I would suggest a few items based on my past experience.
- Fully service all fluids and filters.
- Grease ALL pivot points. If there isn’t a grease point then I would suggest removing the pin and coating it with a antiseize compound then replacing it.
- Clean out the belly pan to OE condition
- Speak to your local fuel / oil provider to see if there is a winterizing additive they could suggest for the fuel and oils.
- Once the units are parked up (in a container hopefully) disconnect the 12v battery. You may even remove them but I would suggest that you hang a note of the model and or size so later on you could replace the battery that got misplaced.
- Totally my opinion here but I would ‘grease’ all exposed chrome rods.
- Finally I would deploy rat baits in the belly pans as well as around the units.