McElroy Discussion Forums

McElroy Fusion Discussion
It is currently December 11th, 2019, 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T412HC clamping issues.
PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 11:39 am 

I have a couple of issues that I would like to mention about the hydraulic clamping on our T412s.

1. I have noticed that I am spending a bit time for each rental machine when they are returned with rethreading clamp pad mounting screw holes.

What appears to happen is that the screw works loose (due to vibration?) and as it does so, because of where the screws are located on the T412HC jaws, when the cylinder is clamped again, the bottom of the cylinder jams the steel screw down through its matching aluminum threads, quickly stripping them out.

2. I have noticed the side of the cylinder toward the body of the jaw hits on the jaw casting at the clamp pad level, leaving a partial cylinder impression above the clamp pad area. I am not sure that this does not place extra stress to a side-loaded clamping cylinder and possible premature wear because of it.

I was not sure if anyone else has seen these occurances, so thought I would post my findings for others. I can post pictures if needed.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2014, 3:43 pm 
Engineering

I can’t think of any way for the clamp pad screws to back out on their own. I have also not heard of this before. Is it a widespread problem? We could Loctite them, but then they would be difficult to remove to replace the clamp pad which is a wear item. I am not picturing his other issue and a photo would help.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2014, 3:51 pm 

I have also seen pad screws being loosened and sometimes missing when machines come back on all machine sizes not just limited to 412s'

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 10:21 am 

LOCTITE, LOCTITE, LOCTITE It's best to do while the machine is still new with no contaminants on the threads. We are experiencing the same issues