McElroy Discussion Forums

McElroy Fusion Discussion
It is currently October 27th, 2020, 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 10th, 2014, 3:12 pm 

I recently had one of our T 412 machines come in from the field with the generator housing cracked off the end bell of the Kubota's crankshaft. The Field Forman told me he was just tracking it down the pavement when it cracked. I looked for signs of trauma thinking there was something he wasn't telling me and found nothing. Either way the generators stator housing cracked at all four screws holding it to the engines end bell. This dropped the stator onto the spinning rotor...well the you should know what that does. Anyways before I install a new generator is their any change in manufacturing that incorporates some support, I.e. rubber legs/bushings. It just seems to me that the weight of this thing should be supported in some way other than the thin aluminum housing and four screws?...any suggestions or comments would be helpful.

Steve

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2014, 11:21 am 

Steve Mc wrote:
I recently had one of our T 412 machines come in from the field with the generator housing cracked off the end bell of the Kubota's crankshaft. The Field Forman told me he was just tracking it down the pavement when it cracked. I looked for signs of trauma thinking there was something he wasn't telling me and found nothing. Either way the generators stator housing cracked at all four screws holding it to the engines end bell. This dropped the stator onto the spinning rotor...well the you should know what that does. Anyways before I install a new generator is their any change in manufacturing that incorporates some support, I.e. rubber legs/bushings. It just seems to me that the weight of this thing should be supported in some way other than the thin aluminum housing and four screws?...any suggestions or comments would be helpful.

Steve

I'd like to add to this....I received the new generator and upon inspecting this I noticed some things. Now I do realize that the rotor is supported in the housing by the bearing and the tapered crank shaft supports the other end. The stator on the other hand is (like mentioned previously) only supported by the four screws holding it to the end bell, but my issue is this. The generator design . It's my opinion that either the generator should be designed specifically for this application or the machine should be altered to accept the generator. If you ever replaced one of these you should know what I mean. Removing the housing adaptor and rotating the generator housing defeats the generators original design. Weight of the electrical box(as little as it may seem) and the rotors bearing support casting is now offset from its first intention. This may not be the reason the original housing cracking...but could have added to it. I still think a rubber damper may be very help full. Like before any comments or suggestions are welcome in this discussion with myself.......

Steve Mc

PostPosted: November 10th, 2014, 5:13 pm 
Engineering

Steve,
I appreciate the feedback and apologize for the delayed response as I am not the most frequent viewer of the forums.

This generator is designed for cantilevered mounting and the options that we have reviewed for adding support have proved problematic. That said, we were recently made aware of the level of customer dissatisfaction regarding this component and are taking action to replace it with a different model of generator. I expect to implement this on new equipment in Q1 of 2015. The new generator will be able to be retrofitted onto existing machines.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 9:56 am 

Thanks Matt,

I did look at customizing my own supports , but after thinking about it I decided it may be just as you said...more problematic. I do think maybe a a thicker gauge aluminum housing could help. This is the first I have replaced from breaking this way so it may have been trauma as my guys can get rough with the equipment.
Anyhow thanks for your response.
Steve