McElroy Discussion Forums

McElroy Fusion Discussion
It is currently December 19th, 2018, 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Biodiesel Fuel
PostPosted: December 29th, 2016, 9:59 am 

Is there a conversion kit of any kind available from McElroy to allow for the running of fusion machines on biodiesel fuel? I am currently using a T618 and T900 and the only fuel available in the area is biodiesel. I am experiencing premature blockage of the secondary in-line filter on the T618 and have noticed small wax-like clumps accumulating in the primary fuel filter in the T900.

If no such conversion kit exists, can you please offer your comments on past experiences with running biodiesel in these machines. Is what I am experiencing a common problem?

Thank you,
Richard Gareau

Post subject: Re: Biodiesel Fuel
PostPosted: January 5th, 2017, 10:22 am 
We do not have a conversion kit for running biodiesel. Here are some links to information from Kubota regarding using biodiesel in their engines.

http://www.kubotaengine.com/support/fuel-and-motor-oil/biodiesel-statement

http://www.kubotaengine.com/assets/documents/KEI-162.pdf

In particular, they mention that cold weather conditions can lead to fuel system plugging, hard starting, and other possible failures. Plugging can include both fuel filters and fuel lines. Additionally, microbial contamination and growth can contaminate and even corrode the fuel system when running biodiesel in engines. These are general considerations when dealing with biodiesel even as low as B5.

For B20, one thing to note from the second link (the PDF) is the chart showing fuel pumps and gaskets that may need to be changed. This is a table on page 2. When viewing the engine series, our T412/T618 machines are engine series SM, the T500s are engine series 05, and the T630/T900 is engine series V3.

I hope this helps. Let us know if not. Thanks!