McElroy Discussion Forums

McElroy Fusion Discussion
It is currently October 27th, 2020, 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: generator problems
PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 11:10 am 

Hello,

I have a 80 kva generator that I am using for a MegaMc 1236. The 1236 is an old unit. I am running the machine with a 80 kva generator. The problem I am having is that exhaust pipe is sputtering oil and the generator runs like crap. The generator is not that old.

Is something wrong with my fusion machine that is causing this? What needs to be fixed on my machine? Or do I need a bigger generator?

Any help please!

Post subject: Re: generator problems
PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 1:04 pm 
Hmmm..
I had to do some looking as this is a new one for me. The old 1236 machines require 30 kva generators minimum. The machine doesn't need all that power all the time. That is what it needs with the heater cycled on and the motor running.

Check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_stacking

I am borrowing this from Wikipedia, and it says:
"Wet stacking is a condition in diesel engines in which not all the fuel is burned and passes on into the exhaust side of the turbocharger and on into the exhaust system. The word "stacking" comes from the term "stack" for exhaust pipe or chimney stack. The oily exhaust pipe is therefore a "wet stack".

In diesel generators, it is usually because the diesel engine is running at only a small percentage of its capacity.

It is detectable when there is a black ooze around exhaust pipe connections and around the turbocharger. Continuous black exhaust from the stack when under a constant load is also an indication that all the fuel is not being burned."

So I am told, generators work best when they are running at 70% of their rated capacity. This means that your 30 kva machine would be best suited to a generator in the 40-45 kva range. If this is true, a bigger generator would not solve the problem. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Post subject: Re: generator problems
PostPosted: April 27th, 2011, 5:17 pm 

This same problem has been noticed by one of my customers here as well. They found out the same thing you are saying. Plus they were told that they risked damaging the Gen if they kept running it under no load. Ill ask them what they did to solve their problem. They didnt think it too funny when i told them they needed to replace their unit with a McElroy :mrgreen: