McElroy Discussion Forums

McElroy Fusion Discussion
It is currently December 14th, 2019, 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IPS Pipe Sizes
PostPosted: August 16th, 2006, 4:24 pm 
Prior Board Member

Can anyone tell me why IPS pipe sizes are so funky (i.e. 1/2" pipe is not 1/2")?
Is this perhaps some sort of volumetric measurement?

Please please please help me make my boss owe me a drink :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16th, 2006, 4:25 pm 
Fusion Expert

I don't know why the sizes are "funky", but our catalog and web site has reference charts in the solutions section that gives the OD and circumference for IPS (iron pipe size), DIPS (ductile iron pipe size), CTS (copper tube size), Metric ISO (International Standards Organization), and JIS (Japan Industry Standard). Hope this helps and enjoy the drink. Have a great day. Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16th, 2006, 4:26 pm 

Anyone who wants a free copy of our catalog and reference guide can request one from our web site. The direct link to the request page is:
http://www.mcelroymfg.com/fusion/forms/catalog.htm
You can also find much of the information on the web site under the SOLUTIONS section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16th, 2006, 4:27 pm 

I found this off a site at Stanford University:
"Pipe and tubing are specified in terms of their diameter and their wall thickness (keep in mind the term schedule number). With steel pipe the standard nominal diameters, in American practice, range from 1/8 to 30 in. For large pipes, more than 12 in, in diameter, the nominal diameters are the actual outside diameters, not the inside diameter; for small pipe the nominal diameter does not correspond to any actual dimension. The nominal value is close to the actual inside diameter for 3- to 12-in. pipe, but for very small pipe this is not true. Regardless of wall thickness, the outside diameter of all pipes of a given nominal size is the same to ensure interchangeability of fittings, sort of to set a standard that all companies can follow. Standard dimensions of steel pipe are given in this table. Pipe of other materials is also made with the same outside diameters as steel pipe to permit interchanging parts of a piping system. These standard sizes for steel pipe, therefore, are know as IPS (iron pipe size) or NPS (normal pipe size). Thus the designation "2-in. nickel IPS pipe" means nickel pipe having the same outside diameter as standard 2-in. steel pipe. "

Hope this helps explain it.

Webmaster

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16th, 2006, 4:27 pm 
Prior Board Member

When pipe manufacturers first began making pipe with modern tooling techniques, the walls of the smaller sizes of pipe were much, much thicker than necessary. As they worked to fix the waste [and weight] this caused, they were constrained to maintain the OD, since the pipes had to be interchangeable with other schedules of piping and other alloys. So they removed the material from the inside. This immediately caused confusion so a new numbering system was adopted for pipes up to 12 inches in diameter. These dimensions are called the IPS [iron pipe size]. Hope this helps. Bill Hood